Whether you are in law enforcement or private security, your personal protection should be of utmost concern. You will not be able to do your job properly if you do not feel confident in fulfilling your duties. The position that you are currently in is inherently dangerous, one way that you can increase your confidence is to use a bulletproof vest. By utilizing a quality bullet proof vest, you can help mitigate any potential impact of a bullet.
Type IIA Rated Bulletproof Vests
The National Institute of Justice characterizes Type IIA rated body armor as being proper for police departments and their full-time personnel. These vests provide protection from the same threats as Type I rated vests, as well as added coverage for:
- 9mm – Full metal jacketed round nose 9mm bullets, which impacts the vest at a minimum velocity of 1090 feet per second and a nominal mass of 124gr.
- .40 – Full metal jacket .40 S&W bullets that impact at a minimum velocity of 1025 feet per second and a nominal mass of 180 gr.
Taking these details in consideration during your body armor purchase allows you to be better equipped for a wider array of situations.
Type IIA Purchases
You can purchase bulletproof vests online for the ultimate in convenience. When purchasing items online, there are some things that you need to consider:
- Return Policy – since you are purchasing the vest sight-unseen, you may find that the vest does not fit you properly or you are not happy with it. Make sure that the company you are purchasing from has a return policy of no less than 14 days.
- Size Label – every bulletproof vest must have a label on it which clearly displays the rating of the vest, as well as the lot number, the date of issue and other care instructions. If the body armor that you purchased does not contain this information, you should send it back immediately.
- Reputation – a great way to have a positive body armor experience is to find a reputable company that others have purchased from. You can read blogs and review sites were real customers have discussed their experience with certain companies. You can also speak with colleagues as to which body armor products worked best for them.
Selecting the right rating and purchasing from a reputable company will make your purchasing experience easier. By taking the time to understand the different ratings of body armor, you will be able to select the vest that is right for you.