Bulletproof products such as vests and body armors has already spared so many lives from fatal ballistic injuries. This is not only true for the police and military personnel on duty, but also for private citizens who are now becoming more educated about the protection the bulletproof products can offer.
Not so long ago, bulletproof products are only designed for battlefields and hot crime operations but recently, its popularity has been increasing. Body armors and bulletproof vest come in different styles and level of protection. It is important to assess the risks you are exposed with in determining which vests is suitable for you. Similarly, it is also important to know the rules governing the buying, selling and importing of bulletproof protection products.
Different countries and regions may have their own sets of rules and guidelines when it comes to wearing and ownership of vests and body armors as well importing them. Although, bulletproof items and products are purely defensive and are generally not designed to inflict or cause harm, they are still under strict regulations in an attempt to prevent criminal misuse.
A few examples of rules concerning bulletproof products are as follows:
- In the US, it is illegal for convicted felons to import, buy or possess body armors and ballistic vests.
- In Connecticut, person to person transaction is needed in buying and selling of bulletproof vests and armors. It is illegal to make transactions via online, mail or phone not unless if you are a police officer or military personnel.
- In some parts of Australia including Victoria, South Australia, Northern Territory, Queensland New South Wales and ACT, possession of body armors and vests may require special authorization from the government.
- In some provinces in Canada such as British Columbia, Alberta, Nova Scotia and Manitoba a license is required in order to be entitled to possess or buy body armors and vests.
- UK bans civilians from importing, buying or selling bulletproof products that are made under military specifications and are designed only for military armaments.
While the internet and social media platforms has allowed for easier selling and import of bulletproof products, the new laws and rules governing the import of bulletproof products have set grounding rules to put some restrictions and counter possible criminal misuse and abuse. Penalties for incurring transgressions against import and export regulations can be severe, so it is your obligation to exercise diligence when buying or specially importing bulletproof protection products. Export and import laws and regulations should be carefully observed and paying all import fees and taxes should be made accordingly, otherwise you will be penalized and the penalties can be downright severe. Every countries and regions may have unique local laws about importing products such as body armors and vests, hence, it is important to make prior research before ordering bulletproof protection products. Ensuring that you diligently adhere to your local laws is of paramount importance to avoid having to pay for penalties and equivalent jail sentences.